|Stockton Center at Spring Grove Museum and Event Center||
The 2 ½ story brick house is a prime example of Italianate architecture. There were 14 elegant rooms for the family as well as a workshop and staff areas. The large, airy rooms are 12 feet high and are decorated with ornate plaster work, including ceiling rosettes that anchored the lighting fixtures. The floors are wood with maple and oak detailing. Extensive research has been done and the original residence has been accurately restored to its former beauty.
A large 3-story addition was built on the back of the house when the Sisters of St. Joseph turned the building into a hospital in the 1920’s. This addition has also been restored because of its importance to the history of the City of Flint.
The Stockton Center was purchased in 2002 by For Flint Investments, and it was this purchase that set in motion the renovations to the building and surrounding property. Much of the front exterior had been covered with false stone sheeting. This was removed, revealing the original porches and windows. The brackets are in the process of being restored. The building was designated a Michigan Historical Site and a State Historical Marker was dedicated on June 18, 2005.
The property was historically known as Spring Grove. Today, the site directly west of the building is being restored. The natural spring still flows onto the site, and invasive plants are being removed. This natural spring is returning wildlife to the City of Flint including ducks, deer, and Blue Heron.